Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cheeze Soup & Scalloped Potatoes

Saturday's dinner was pulled from one simple question. "What meal comes from yukon potatoes?" We hadn't gone shopping yet for the week and it was slim pickings around the fridge. I was flipping through my Imus Ranch cookbook searching for that twice baked potato recipe I've been meaning to try when I came across a page for Scalloped Potatoes. Yum!

The recipe is fairly simple: potatoes, soymilk, nutritional yeast plus salt and pepper. Basically you layer up the potatoes in a casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.

I decided to pair up my potatoes with a soup since I came across a Broccoli and Cheeze recipe in the Imus Ranch book. I had some Daiya to spend but no broccoli so I made some modifications. My version is essentially...

1/4C olive oil
1/2C chopped onion
1 clove garlic
2 cups broth
1/2C soymilk
1/2C cheese
1/4C flour

I put a little pepper on top to garnish. The soup was OK but to be honest I haven't really cared for Daiya so there weren't any high expectations. Just a simple out-of-groceries dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment