Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Below is a picture of dinner time in our household this Thursday. We ate a faux turkey, hot artichoke dip with crostini, tofurky brand gravy, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, yams, fresh cranberry sauce, sparkling apple cranberry juice as well as blueberry pie!


The following is a pic of the creation of my faux turkey. I tested out a super simple recipe from www.everydaydish.tv. We were very surprised how much we felt this tasted like a store bought tofurkey. I never had much luck with vital wheat gluten in the past but I think the key to making it successfully must be in the boiling piece because that was new to me. We also baked it afterward to crisp it up a bit.


Since Mikael so graciously allowed us to have a "traditional" midwest Thanksgiving versus an Italian or East coast menu I permitted him to pick out this years signature dessert. The result - blueberry pie! I took this particular recipe from the Joy of Vegan Baking but to be honest, it seems like most blueberry pie recipes mimic the rest. The pie was served with vanilla bean soyscream (Mikael's hybrid for soy ice cream) and soyatoo whipped cream. MMm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment